For a defendant facing allegations of DWI or drug possession, what can you do?

“I have your back”

"Hiring Adam was the best decision after I was charged with 4 tickets for a DWI. It took Adam just one court appearance to convert all the tickets into a minor DWAI with minimum charges. He always made sure I was relaxed and he would take care of me like a younger brother. I've no words to thank him for what he has done for me!" *****

“Amazing lawyer”

"He is a very professional and well organized individual that will work with you not against you in any situation, and does his best to defend you and your rights in court. I would highly recommend P. Adam Militello for anyone in need of his services he provides." *****

“Mr. Militello is the BEST!”

"Adam is an AWESOME attorney! I never been in trouble with the law and after getting pulled over on the holiday was charged with a DWI. I was scared and terrified. Adam told me, I would be okay and he would fight for me. Which he did. He got my misdemeanor charge down to a traffic infraction of a DWAI. Which is a non criminal charge. I am very thankful and blessed. I'm a healthcare professional and a misdemeanor would have affected my career. He is honest, a good listener, very funny and keeps you updated in regards to your case. He contacts you in reasonable time and works hard on your case. He doesn't mind when you call asking a lot of questions. Also, he is very affordable and will work with. Forget the rest, hire best. Adam is the best." *****

For a defendant facing allegations of DWI or drug possession, what can you do?

On that stretch of I-390 that runs through Livingston County, more than one person has been pulled over for speeding or some other traffic violation only to find him or herself arrested and charged with DWI or Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance.

P. Adam Militello, Esq.
P. Adam Militello, Esq.

For a defendant facing allegations of DWI or drug possession, what can you do? For starters, if you are stopped by police, there are a few proactive steps any citizen who wants to protect their civil rights can take:

  1. Produce your driver's license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance through a small crack in your window.
  2. Exercise your right to remain silent! Politely decline to answer any questions, including questions about where you came from, where you are going, whether you have consumed any alcohol, or whether you have any drugs or weapons in your car.
  3. Tell police that you want to speak with a lawyer.
  4. Politely decline to give police permission to search your car.
  5. Politely decline to take any "field sobriety tests."

If you are going to get arrested, so be it. Telling the police officer that you "only had 2 or three drinks," or that, "I have a little pot but it belongs to my friend," is NOT going to get you off the hook. As a defense attorney, I would rather see you get arrested after police unlawfully search your car and gather no confession, instead of you admitting to breaking the law and giving consent to a search. In either event you get arrested, but if you don't talk, we have a much better chance of getting you out of trouble and avoiding a conviction.

If you are facing DWI or controlled substance charges in Wayne, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, or Genesee Counties, contact us at The Militello Law Firm for a free telephone consultation and case evaluation. Our phone number is (585) 485-0025.

The Militello Law Firm
2480 Browncroft Boulevard
Rochester, New York 14625
Phone: (585) 485-0025 Fax: (585) 286-3128